• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • 6 months of hard work.. now trying a bulk are my calories enough for a good bulk?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Raleoxilevz, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

I have been lifting for some time and up until approximately 6 months ago I really dedicated myself to my diet and weight training. I have read the stickies and posts by different users. I was loosing weight and got to a point where I basically bottomed out on the weight loss. I read that if I would bulk or increase the lean muscle mass I would then be able to later loose the fat better.

On April 1 I decided to go on a bulk for the first time ever. I have been doing it for 17 days now and I am now up 2 pounds from where I started.

I have checked and my daily calorie needs are using the Katch-Mcardle method and it shows for a person 5'10" tall weighing 200 lbs is 2060. I checked my total requirements using the that would put my calorie needs at 2678 calories daily. Using emma's post it stated to go between 10-20% surplus above you daily requirements. That puts it at 2946 calories. My calories for the last 17 days have averaged 2800 calories. I have gained just over 2 pounds in that time. Is this a good pace for weight gain during a bulk? I would like it to be considered a clean bulk and not put on to much fat.

I am doing a five day workout schedule with two days rest. Doing heavy compound lifts. I am doing 15min of cardio two times a week on off days and eating the same foods/intake all days.

My daily calories are 2800 with 292 carbs, 235 protein and 80 grams of fat. Based on the numbers it shows I should have another 146 calories. Would the extra calories help with the lean muscle growth? One of the regular posters that have helped me has been Induced_Drag. Thanks again.

Below are pictures of the start and where i was as of April 4.092311 start.jpg040412.jpg

I can not get the pictures to show in the post without you having to open the attachment sry..

2. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

6 months of hard work.. now trying a bulk are my calories enough for a good bulk?

looks like you know what your doing, just over 2lbs in 2 weeks is the optimal rate altho it varies with factors such as age, so you might wana try such things as a slower rate or a test booster to counter act for some additional fat gains you may experience. Good job tho you are definitely on your way to success.

3. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

6 months of hard work.. now trying a bulk are my calories enough for a good bulk?

also, reppd.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Currently taking Intra Extreme which as some DAA 1502mg and some glutamine, Isoleucine, Leucine and Valine in it 6900 mg

5. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

The calculators in the stickies are only estimations. Normally you would have to adjust slightly depending on rate of weight loss/gain.

If you are gaining weight at a rate that you are comfortable with, I see no reason to change. Good luck.

6. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Based on your "after"picture (embedded below), you probably need to continue cutting as you still carry a lot of body fat.

[​IMG]

They're a complete waste of money!!!

7. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Thought about that but had stalled on the loss. I wanted to do a slight bulk for 30 days and see if I can gain any mass then I was planning on going on a cut again. I was hoping to keep the increase in the weights to keep coming. Not sure but I seemed to stall on the weight loss before. I do agree I still have some fat to get rid of. Trying to increase the lean muscle mass then go on a cut.

8. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

I agree that you would be better off cutting before trying to add weight. You can do what you like though. Formulas are estimates. Pick a number and adjust to real world results.

9. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

What are you expecting to happen in 30 days?

If you stalled you should have taken a 2 week diet break, and adjusted your activity/calorie level when went back to dieting.

10. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

you are correct I should shed some more fat then go on a bulk. But then again my weight training also stalled during the same time the weight loss stalled I was getting frustrated not seeing results so I decided to try something different. Not sure the right approach but was frustrated with the results I was getting or in my case not getting.